Friday, October 7, 2011

Pasta with ?? Sauce

I've been reading a few blogs over the past few days looking for something different to have for dinner.  If you know me I rarely make the same thing twice - much to my husband's chagrin!!  This week at Shaw's they had some blocks pecorino romano cheese on sale and a coupon attached discounted it by an additional $2.  I bought two and figured I would find something to do with them.  Tonight I gave it shot.  This was the result!!  Excuse the photo I just have a little digital camera for now - hopefully I'll graduate to the real thing some day!!

See all the cheese in there!!!

This is the recipe I created:

13 oz whole wheat spaghetti
6 tbsp butter (I know - not necessarily healthy but it tastes delicious)
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sherry or white wine of your choice
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 lb pecorino romano cheese, grated
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

Cook the pasta according to package directions - make sure its a little al dente!! If the pasta is done before the sauce, after you drain the pasta sprinkle a little olive oil on it and toss to keep it from sticking together.  In a large pan melt the butter, add the onion and cook until the onions start to caramelize (turn brown).  Add the garlic, salt and pepper and continue to cook for a minute or 2.  Pour in the sherry/white wine and simmer for another minute or 2.  Add the tomatoes - simmer for a minute.  Remove from the heat and toss in the pasta.  If the pasta seems dry add a bit more olive oil and toss.  Sprinkle in the cheese and toss so the cheese is evenly distributed throughout the dish.  Reserve a little bit of cheese to put on the top of each bowl.  Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

The taste wasn't bad but I don't know what to call it.  Any suggestions?  I also think the next time I will add some greenery - needs some spinach, broccoli rabe, capers!!! Maybe even some pine nuts for a bit of a crunch.  The possibilities are endless.






Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!

Oops sorry - focus Theresa!!  What are you creating in your kitchen? Let me know.

No comments: