Monday, April 16, 2012

Legacy!!

My sisters, niece and one of my daughters took a little trip this weekend to upstate NY to visit with our grandmother.  I'd like you to meet Thirza North.  She is 98.  

Gram!
Gram just got home from rehab/nursing home.  She feel a few weeks ago while she was out shopping. She apparently fractured her pelvis and left elbow.  Funny thing is after the fall she got back up and went on her way.  It was several hours later when she got in touch with her son and he took her to the hospital.  When she was at the hospital they did all the normal things for tests including xrays.  In looking at the xray the doctor saw an old fracture in my grandmother's pelvis.  My grandmother said "yes I broke it when I was 12."  She then proceeded to tell the story of how she fractured her pelvis - a story which her son had never heard.  When she was 12 she was "playing" (actually she said she was doing something she wasn't suppose to be doing).  Anyway in the process of this "playing" she apparently fell and fractured her pelvis.  Since she was doing something she wasn't suppose to be doing she decided not to tell her parents because she knew she would get in trouble.  The fracture eventually healed but she quietly endured the pain and never told her parents.  Sidenote:  when she was little her father would not allow her to cry she was simply endure it.  I am so in awe of this wonderful woman - I can't even imagine having to endure that kind of pain.  She continues to live on her own and her mind is as sharp as tac!!

She is all healed up now and scoots around her apartment with her walker faster than some people walk on their own.  I don't know if you have someone around as wonderful as Thirza in your life - hope so cuz there is nothing like it.   She inspires me and I'll be there are quite a few young folks today that could definitely learn a thing or two from my granma!!!

1 comment:

Jana said...

Hi Theresa!
I found this on facebook. Thanks for posting it. Grandma looks great! I had no idea that you had a blog but now that I know I'll be lurking!! Hugs to you cousin!!
Jana